First Aid for Mental Health Courses - What's involved?
Find more details in this video of the course content, assessment criteria and learning outcomes.
The video below gives a great insight into the course. [Video credit: Thats' TV Scotland]
We deliver half day, one day and two day First Aid for Mental Health Training Courses.
The course outline of the two-day interactive course is below. This course will benefit anyone with a professional or personal interest in mental health and wellbeing.
Course Outline - Day One
• What is first aid for mental health?
• Identifying mental health conditions
• Providing advice and starting a conversation
• Mental health conditions
• Drugs & alcohol
• First aid action plan for mental health
• Mental health in the workplace
• Assessment and day one course closure
Course Outline - Day Two
• Introduction and day one recap
• Post-traumatic stress disorder
• Eating disorders
• Personality disorders
• Bipolar disorder
• Assessment and course closure
Learning outcomes and assessment criteria
Our FAA regulated qualification has set learning outcomes and assessment criteria. The learning outcomes describe the skills and knowledge you will gain by successfully completing the qualification. The assessment criteria state the skills, knowledge and competence you will be required to demonstrate during the course assessment.
1. What is mental health? You will demonstrate that you can:
Define mental health
Indicate understanding of the stigma surrounding mental health
Identify factors that can affect a person’s mental health
Understand the role of a First Aider for mental health
2. How to provide advice and practical support. You will demonstrate that you:
Can outline the advice that should be provided to a person suffering from a suspected mental health condition
Know when to contact the emergency services in respect of first aid for mental health
3. Stress. You will identify signs of stress and state how stress can be managed
4. Substance misuse. State the potential effects of alcohol and drug abuse on a person’s mental health
5. Understand and demonstrate the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place
6. Creating a positive culture of mental health in the workplace
7. Understand a range of mental health disorders and the support / therapy provided by professional healthcare providers. First Aid for Mental Health Training doesn't qualify you to diagnose or treat these disorders. Instead you will become an important 'first responder' and knowing what help is available, and who to contact in each instance is an important part of this.
You will learn to describe the characteristics, signs and symptoms of each of the following mental health conditions:
The qualification is assessed through two written assessment papers and the practical demonstration of the first aid action plan for mental health. You must successfully pass all parts of the assessment to be awarded the qualification. There is no grading of the assessment; you will either pass or be referred.
The qualification is available to learners aged 16 or over.
It may be possible to allocate a reasonable adjustment to a learner who has a disability, medical condition or learning need; please contact us to discuss your needs.
The First Aid for Mental Health Course has been developed in association with the awarding organisation First Aid Awards (FAA). Our main aim is to raise the awareness of mental health within the British public and UK workplaces through national qualifications regulated by Ofqual which are listed on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). On completion of the course you will receive the 'FAA Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health'. For full information on what the course will cover, please click here to download the qualification specification document.
We run in-house courses across the UK. These can be carried out in your own premises or at an agreed location. Costs are dependant on location and catering. In-house courses are ideal for organisations with a high number of staff to be trained. They can also be tailored to your organisational needs. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this further. We are delighted to offer the following regulated courses in-house:
FAA Level 1 Award in Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health - 1/2 day (Download Full Qualification Specification)
FAA Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health - 1 day (Download Full Qualification Specification)
FAA Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health - 2 days (Download Full Qualification Specification)